May 11, 2006

Oriental Chicken Puffs

My taste testers commented that they taste like Malaysian "siew bau", but I personally feel its not quite there yet. I made these as a quick snack. I have been busy juggling uni assignments and getting excited with our next upcoming toga party at home this Saturday. Anyone have suggestions on interesting "Greek-type" food to serve?
2 chunks chicken thigh diced
2 tbsp Hoi Sin sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp 5 spice powder
dashes of pepper
2 stalks of shallots diced
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
Marinade the meat in all other ingredients for at least 30 minutes. Pour into a hot nonstick wok and cook till sugar begins to caramelize and sauce thickens. If needed; add a little cornflour to thicken the mixture.
Spoon onto ready rolled puff pastry from pampas and wrap as you desire. (I made mine the lazy simple puff pastry sticks design; Roll meat up on a piece of square pastry and press sides to seal with a fork). Brush the top of pastry with eggwash and sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake in 180 degree oven until brown and crisp.

1 comment:

Jin Hooi said...

Hey,I discovered your blog not long ago and I tried this Oriental chicken puff recipe today!It was really nice, have a look at my site if u like to.
http://jinhooi.blogspot.com/2007/03/oriental-chicken-puff-siew-pao.html
Thank you for sharing your experience!!
Keep blogging!!