May 9, 2006

Chocolatey cake in a bowl

Due to my recent days of torture under piles of assignments, I have been whipping meals for my housemates which do not require much effort in the kitchen. Up until now, I am proud to say I have successfully deterred from the evil-unhealthy ideas which instant meals in cartons and microwavable packs are giving me.For dessert this afternoon, I made chocolate cake. It took me less than 15minutes.... Im serious! I baked a cake in the microwave; in a bowl. It came out WAYYy better than I thought it would. The cake was very moist and the chocolate was indulgently rich. It was amazing! I got the recipe idea while reading Nigella Lawson's cookbook "How to eat" a few months ago and decided to alter it from a pudding into a cake. I added and reduced a couple of the items in the recipe to make the pudding firmer and the texture more cake-like.
70g melted butter
190g melted dark chocolate (I used Dark Lindt with 60%cocoa)
30g brown sugar
2drops vanilla essence
60ml whipping cream
25g plain flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1 XL egg
Mix everything till smooth in a microwavable bowl. Cover with clingfilm and microwave for 5minutes on high. (700watt microwave) When done, pierce the film and remove from the the oven. Cover the bowl with a large plate and let stand for 6-8 minutes. Serve immediately! Spoon out the cake on to a plate of fresh berries and drizzle whipping cream or creme fraiche!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow ive never made a cake in the microwave before but that looks so yummy!

(defiant)conviction said...

i tried a variation of this once... it turned out very rubbery.. and smelled pretty disgusting..

yours looks so good tho! what did it taste like? mine neded up in the garbage >.< lol