May 31, 2006

I have been tagged! - Recipe Meme (I still have no clue what a meme is!)

Jen jen from Milk and Cookies got me a little confused this morning when she told me I ha€™ve been tagged for a Recipe Meme. Firstly, I have no clue what a Meme is, and now I a€™m tagged with one! I subsequently went into a Google search frenzy (so typical of me). I a€™m hopeless with blogger terms / €œactivities€. Anyway, im presuming this is how it works. She gets €œtagged€--a list of questions from someone and she tags me, so I am to blog about my answers to the list of questions as well. *shrug* Pretty straight forward.

From where do you obtain the recipes you prepare? Almost 90% of the food I cook comes from inspirations from weekly magazines. I call them inspirations because I hardly ever go by the recipe/list of ingredients. (unless its baking a cake or other recipes which require specific proportions) Even with baking; I sometimes add my own nuts/ fresh fruit/different matching flavours into the recipes. I love cooking this way. It allows me to try different combinations of ingredients and I get to personalize recipes to suit the palate of my diners.

How often do you cook a new recipe?
Every other day. I cook 1-2 meals everyday; sometimes 3 on the weekends, so I have many opportunities to try something new.

Where do you store your favourite recipes?
I have a special little ring binder book. It has my favourite tried and tested recipes. It’s difficult to keep updated though. When I need a fail proof recipe from my personal stash, the Book is the key.

How large is your recipe pile? Is it organized? If so, how?
Fairly small. I tend to read lots of magazines and chuck them aside as the seasons change. I like to keep with the cooking/eating trend. I love local weekly cooking magazines because they remind you what€™s in season and how to pick/purchase the freshest quality ingredients. I don’t have an organized pile yet. But will soon get to it.

What is the oldest recipe in your “to try" pile?
Fried chinese radish cake (Loh bak gou). It€™s the white pan fried radish slices you get at Dim Sum restaurants. I get to eat these quite often, but it'll be nice to be able to make it on my own and fry chunks of it with sambal, bean sprouts, shallots, soy sauce€s*mmMmmMm‌might make it this weekend! haha

Are you ever going to make those recipes in your to try pile?
I don€™t really have a to try pile. I have a stack of the latest magazines and dog ears on many of the pages. When I feel like it, I flip through and select! So I guess my to-try pile never gets a chance to pile up. I a€™m constantly looking for new ideas. Other blogs around help with the inspirations too!

Do you follow a recipe exactly or modify as you go?
I think I’ve answered this question several times.

What is one new recipe that you’re scared to try?
Meringue. It €™s still new to me because I havnt made a single batch which turned out right. It€™s scary because I’ve tried a ridiculous amount of times, done research about it at the library, read books with instructions over and over again, used tips like—dry copper bowl, cream of tartar, low swooping motion, clean whisk, etc. etc. Nothing works‌I’m afraid the next time I fail again; I'll cry.

Tag at least one new food blogger for this meme ("new" as in only blogging a few months).
...I am currently unaware of any new food blogs.

Tag at least one food blogger you visit regularly but never interacted with?
Cream Puffs in Venice
I love her writing....and her photo's are amazing as well.

Tag at least one food blogger you constantly visit and leave comments.
The Canadian Baker
This is a great blog filled with the delicious recipes!


1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey good work with the tag. To be honest I also had no idea what it was when Linda from Make Life Sweeter tagged me. I thought id just wing it. But i think we did pretty well for not know what it was in the first place.