May 31, 2006

Polenta muffins

I've tried making polenta once. It didn't make it into our household-favourites list. I wasn't ready to give up on the versatile and wholesome polenta. For those who aren't familiar with polenta, It is basically cornmeal which is usually cooked to a mush and has a smooth creamy texture when cooked in boiling water. Strangely enough...it doesn't taste too much like corn. Polenta on its own is fairly bland and is served as a side dish with condiments/butter/cheeses/a good sprinkle of seasoning.
I made these muffins before the girls left for class early this morning. It's a simple recipe to whip up while you're still half asleep.
I'll let you in on something embarrassing :It was 7, I shuffled my way downstairs and put on my apron, switched the oven on, took out a bowl to break an egg and got out a plastic bag for the shells. I cracked the egg into the bag and threw the shells into the bowl! Was pretty stupid of me; .my brain was still fighting to go back to bed! I didn't realize, up until I whipped out a fork to beat the eggs! haha

Makes 6 tall muffins
5 1/4 oz Self raising flour
3oz polenta (fine grained)
1oz castor sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
125ml buttermilk/ milk with a squeeze of lemon juice
50g butter melted
1 egg


3 large slices of smoked turkey/pancetta diced
1/2 brown onion thinly sliced
good sprinkle of oregano
1 small chilly chopped
1tsp HP sauce/2tsp Lea+Perrins
1tsp olive oil

Microwave meat+onions+sauces+spices+olive oil in a microwavable bowl for 2 minutes on high, stirring occasionally till onions are wilted and meat is fragrant. Set aside to cool.
Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat milk+butter+egg till frothy. Add to flour mixture. Stir in meat mixture until well combined. Spoon into greased muffin trays and bake in 170 degree preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven when skewer comes out clean. Tops should be deliciously golden. Serve warm.
I squeezed on some barbecue sauce and sweet chilly on the muffins and added a good dash of cracked black pepper. I loved them! Hope everyone at home approves of polenta this time....*crosses fingers*

No comments: