April 5, 2006

Happy to be back in action

Gold coast was a lot of fun! Despite being extremely exhausted I was very eager to start cooking again this morning. I decided to reward my housemates who've missed me - and my cooking- with something sweet to go with the curry fish and Indian spiced rice for dinner. It was a bit of a disaster at first, but I managed to cover it up with a little touch of creativity. I baked a milk chocolate cheesecake covered in white chocolate ganache and shortbread crumbs. Being in Sydney; where im blessed with delectable cookies from Arnotts (eg. Tim Tams, Raspberry tartlets, Hobnobs), I decided to make the cookie base from a mixture of crumbled Digestive biscuits and my favourite- shortbread creams.
Back to the disaster I mentioned before; I was being impatient (as usual) with my "cooling-the-cake" process and decided to turn it onto a plate despite the cake being still hot and wobbly. This is the first time I've ever actually -baked- a cheesecake and I didn't realize that the middle of the cake needs a few minutes to settle and hold its shape. (I usually do the mix and freeze version of cheesecakes) I capped the cap with another plate and flipped it *whoOps*....it wasn't a pretty...I let out a little sigh and after a few seconds of analyzing the cake's collapsed condition, I was able to patch it up a little to make it look decent. So here is what it looks like after I was done with "saving" it. I still have no idea what it tastes like, it needs to rest for 4 hours or more in the fridge (so says the recipe) so I will have to type in an update later on how the tasting process went.

edit: I had 3 taste testers for my cake.
1. *strong malaysian accent* oPEn shop lar you! Its the best cheesecake you've made!
2. Its good.
3.MMmmMMmmmmmmmmmm..................MMmmMmMMMmmmmmmmm....divine...Mmmm
My opinion: a little under cooked in the middle, was creamy and smooth in the inside, a nice chocolate flavour but could use a darker chocolate mixture. It was very ugly, looked a little like gunk when its soft :P

2 comments:

lily said...

Iagree not too nice looking. PUTTING NUTS ROUND THE CAKE SHOULD LOOK BETTER

Nali said...

It may not have looked as nice as ur other cake but that was definately one of the best cakes i've ever tasted!