July 27, 2006

Exchanging my Work for $$


Yeap!...after many encouraging suggestions from family, friends and blog readers; I've finally made my first sale! WooOHOOo~ *pops the champagne bottle*! Haha. I do not intend to open a cake sculpting studio or any other bizarre ambitious idea as such in the near future as Uni work comes first. I'll just be playing it small in the comforts of my own cozy kitchen.
For those who are interested in being "the-guest-who-brought-the-most-awesome-cake" to their next party; please feel free to request for a quote by dropping me an email *wink* ;)
(suyin.cookingismypassion@gmail.com)-with the title of the email "Cake Order".
I'm happy to have a go at astonishing you with what I can do with some cake and icing!
It would be helpful if you could list a couple of details such as; size, budget, cake flavour, icing type and design ideas.
Here's pictures of my progress through a "Toadstool Fairy Princess" cake I designed, sculpted and stacked for a little girl's 5th birthday. The boy who made orders for it will be collecting it on Saturday; as he intends for it to be a surprise on the weekend! I really hope she likes it!Here's several different angles after I was done. Everything but the the fairy's wand is edible...The cake on the inside was a chocolate sponge cake layered with buttercream and shaped with marshmallows. Tiny details, elf girl and castle wall's were made from Fondant.A satisfied customer with very kind words!*sigh* makes me feel warm inside...LOL

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

the cake looks beautiful! or i mean cake topper. nicely done

Anonymous said...

hey su!
its jules! would u make a birthday cake for my friend georgie?!?
budget: whatever (i.e. under $50)
size: small-ish
she's a landscape architect and she loves loves loves shopping and baking. so i guess a really tall brunette in a garden full of bags and shoes and clothes and cupcakes????
email me! julzbaby@gmail.com

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

thanks Anonymous
and jules for the order :) I've sent you an email

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow... Suyin... i think your creation is so Awesome. It's really veri nice and it look just great like those sold in the bakery. I think u are gifted in this..... If you are around in singapore i sure place an order from you for my son's bday next jan. :)

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

thanks for the comment ellena :)

Anonymous said...

YES....i echo ellena mummy's words! U def. hv d talents! We really don't see much of these creative & pretty cakes around here! All d best to your cosy bakery biz!

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

Joey: I'm glad the tips I gave you was helpful...would love to have a look at your godson's cake :)

Cheryl: thanks for wishing me luck! It's really nice of you. I appreciate it very much Cheryl.

Unknown said...

WOW!!!!! Well done gurl. That cake looks awesome.

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

thanks puspha :)

Jen said...

wow, this looks amazing, you are the best!

I am definitely hiring you to do my wedding....whenever that will be, not anytime soon though....hopefully you're still in the country by that time!

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

*gasp*...wow..I can't imagine myself even working on a wedding cake! Will love to though...
Planning on having a "pretend" wedding anytime soon? ;) *laughs*
I'll probably be gone in bout a years time...but thanks for the sweet thought....it really helps with my confidence in pursuing my cake-making business :)

Edith said...

Great job! The surprise present will definitely make a very happy girl.

Saucy said...

I am amazed, found you via the flickr group "cupcakes take the cake" and you have outdone yourself.

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

awww..thanks maree! I hoppe you get the chance to try some recipes too! :)

Anonymous said...

that cake is beautiful!your are amazing!

Le Cupcake said...

Suyin, beautiful! You're very talented! It's great to design your own cakes & not just copy out of books (even though they're still very difficult even when copying from books!) I haven't been to your flickr photos for ages (or anyone elses much) so I thought I'd have a look & they're fantastic! And this blog too!. I must one day arrange a flickr get together with the sydney flickr cake/cupcake people! I'm finding more (even tough no-one I know has heard of flickr).Keep up the good work! (How do you find the time to do this site??)

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

hey kylie! great to hear from you...I've always been in awe of your work! Cant wait to have a get together with other cake/cupcake makers of sydney! Haha I could learn a thing or two :P
Hmm....blogging is something I do as a hobby; I have a full time degree at Uni and I cook for everyone at home so I get something to blog about almost everyday. It's just a way of sharing my thoughts and getting ideas from everyone else. It's been going well so far...I havn't been baking much, everyone is watching their weight...Haha...I bake only when its for $$ now. :)

Anonymous said...

hi Suyin,
My name is Lili. I love your cakes! I need to contact Francis and Yoke Wan ( parents to birthday girl, Caitlin ).We have been trying to contact them for years.Thank you.

Lili and Kenny Yee
mrsyee@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Su-Yin, I think that you're such a talented girl! I thought that I am a pretty good cook, but since I read at your blog, I'm even more determined to practice to cook even more (at least to be nearly as good as you!).

I think you definitely can sell these cakes easily anywhere. Maybe you could open a cake shop or cafe part time!

PS: You are now one of my favourite food blogs. Keep up the great work!