June 23, 2006

Apple and Date Squares

These aren't exactly the typical 'squares' which often resemble muesli bars or have a crumbly pastry texture. It's more of a good chewy cake-like base which is simply delectable! I had fun baking and devouring them early this morning while the girls were still sound asleep. My long day all began at 7 in the morning to accommodate cooking time, study time as well as the Sydney Food and Wine Show I was desperate to attend! It was exhausting....gym seemed like child's play after what I went through today! *sigh*...but sensational nonetheless. Haven't had so much fun in ages!

Back to these delectable apple squares I was going on about, the recipe came from a very talented lady which inspires me with her writing and marvelous skills in baking. Her blog is one of my favourites! A big thanks to The Canadian Baker for sharing her delicious Apple Squares recipe. The Muffin Man would also have my thanks for the inspiration of an apple and date filling, which kinda led me to my own version of the 2 recipes combined. Inspired by 2 of my favourite baker-bloggers! :)
1 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cup plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in egg. Fold in dry sifted ingredients and form into a soft dough.
Filling:
2 granny smith apples finely sliced

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup dates diced + 1/2 cup dark brown sugar+ 1 tbsp water (microwave on high for 5 minutes, stir occasionally and mash dates as you go along) - should aim for a thick date paste. Add a lil more water if you must.
Press half of the dough into a square tin. I used a 9x9 inch pan. Lay apples on top neatly and sprinkle on the nutmeg + cinnamon+ dark brown sugar. Spread the date filling on top (this will be a little difficult as the filling is thick) - spread it out as even as you can, doesn't need to be a perfect layer. Roll out the extra dough onto a lightly floured surface(0.5-1 cm thick) and cut with a cookie cutter to form shapes (like I have done) or just cut into long strips and lay them in a criss-cross lattice design. Bake in 180degree preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden and filling is bubbly! Cut into slices when it's cooled and serve with whipped cream/custard or even vanilla ice cream! YUm!

2 comments:

Canadian Baker said...

These look great!!

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

thanks :). Means a lot coming from you Lol