I usually do show up with a cake; but 5 cakes in 2 days is just impossible to do. I tried not to gauge who I should make a cake for in terms of level of 'importance'; as all of them were great friends and everyone deserved a CAKE! *faints*...I was at my wits ends!
Mom made a good point that; if I turn up with a cake at all birthdays, I'll be invited to every party every year; expected to come with cake! She asked me how long could I keep that up. *shrug* She suggested I bring something else instead. Something nice. For everyone to share. I guess she's right.
I decided...NO cake for everyone *laughs*
These turned out to be a hit at Hideboo's birthday party. Plus there was already a beer themed cake for him from another great baker! *Phew* Lucky I didn't bring a cake too *laughs*
I made tiny custard puff pastry tartlets adorned with fruit.
They were real simple and quick to do;
bake bases; fill tarts with thick custard and top with fruit!
Here's how you make the tiny pastries.
- Take 2 sheets of thawed ready rolled puff pastry.
- Dust one liberally with icing sugar
- Place 2nd sheet on top of the first dusted one.
- Press to seal gently
- Roll up the square tightly from the angle closest to you
- Form a firm long log and slice 1 cm thick slices from the log to create tiny discs
- roll out each disc into a oval flat and lay onto cookie sheet/baking paper
- brush with eggwash or some milk to create shine
- bake in preheated 190 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until pastries are puffed and golden.