June 5, 2006

Strawberry Shortbread

It's such horrid weather! The sky has been gloomy the entire afternoon and it doesn't look like it's getting any better. I got up a little late this morning and peered into my fog filled window. Students were trekking to Uni in the crap weather with full-on winter gear. I was glad I wouldn't need to leave the house today. Although...that also meant I'd have no reason not to finish my assignment by tonight. Fighting procrastination can be tiring. Especially when procrastination means baking. *grin*
Our new found friend; Ivy, a pretty and generous Malaysian girl offered us a couple of Malaysian delicacies (Little chicken biscuits + Shah-keh- mah) which her mom brought over while visiting! We were delighted! I guess she figured we missed local sweets from home! It was very sweet of her, and I decided it would be a valid reason to procrastinate if I made Ivy and her Mom some shortbread.
I usually love eating shortbread with fresh strawberries and jam. I like to leave the cream out, for calorie counting purposes!
what's with the ducks you ask? *shrug* I made a mess...I was aiming for chicks..but yeah..doesn't matter...they look quite adorable...change of subject! Here's the recipe;
50g icing sugar
100g Plain flour
50g cornflour
100g soft unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence

Chop butter into small 1 inch cubes and place in a medium sized bowl. Add vanilla essence and sift in dry ingredients. Work with the tip of your fingers until the begin to clump together. Remember to work quick and not with the palm of your hands to keep the butter cold. Turn well mixed crumbs into a 8-9 inch square/rectangular cake tin and press into base. Try even the top and neaten the edges with your fingers. With a sharp knife, cut shortbread into desired shapes (ex: squares, rectangles, triangles). I dont think circles or animal shapes are possible in this one!
Slide into 160 degree preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are very slightly beige. Good shortbread comes with a luxurious melt in your mouth consistency; certainly not crisp and crunchy! Gently remove a slice at a time from tin. Sandwich together with jam+cream if desired. Or just have them as they are. Homemade jam with good chunks of berries always work best!

No comments: