June 10, 2006

Grilled chicken with apple and fennel salad

It's been quite awhile since I last cooked a somewhat adventurous and interesting meal at home. I've been sticking to the basics and the usual flavours my housemates loved and regular meals which I'm familiar with whipping up. It makes cooking easy and quick when I have too many things on my mind. My final major assignment was handed in on Friday and what better time than a Saturday morning to try something different! As I woke up fairly late, I decided to make an early lunch and skip breakfast to beat those morning hunger pangs.
For lunch, we had Grilled Dukkah crusted Chicken served with an apple and fennel salad. I personally loved the Dukkah crust (which is very new to me), however; the salad was a little too sour for my liking. The meal could have been improved with less salad, an addition of extra chilies to make it spicy(our tastebuds and chilies have a relationship! *grin*) and good toasted bread on the side.
For a little more information on the Dukkah mixture;
Contains: Hazelnut, Sesame Seed, Coriander Seed, Pistachio Nuts, Cumin Seeds, Salt, Black Pepper.
Description & Use:
Dukkah is an Egyptian specialty made from various roasted nuts and spices. Dip bread into olive oil and then dip it into the Dukkah for a tasty snack. Dukkah is delicious sprinkled over salads or mixed with mayonnaise for dipping crudites. Dukkah makes a tasty coating when put on chicken before grilling or pan-frying.

Grilled chicken;
Marinade chicken thigh fillets in honey and a sprinkle of salt+ pepper for at least 30 minutes. Before popping it in the oven, crust chicken pieces with Dukkah on one side. Drizzle with olive oil and extra honey to coat and grill in oven on both sides till done (approximately 10 minutes on each side) depending on the thickness of your thigh fillet. You can tell the chicken is done by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the flesh and when the juices run out clear. Don't pierce the meat too much though, you dont want a dry piece of meat with all the juices lost!

Salad;
1 brown onion spliced thinly
2 red apples peeled, cored and diced into 1 inch cubes
1/2 head of lettuce sliced into thick strips
1/2 red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
50g butter
2 tsp whole fennel seeds
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
Cook all ingredients (except lettuce) in butter on a shallow pan until apple softens; splash in vinegar and add salt to taste. Remove salad from the pan and toss in the lettuce until well combined. Serve with grilled chicken.

P.s: I remember someone asking me for my recipe for roast a couple of days ago....don't worry I did not forget, its coming! haha maybe on Monday, after we grocery shop. I'll pick up a few good cuts of poultry.

No comments: