September 4, 2006

Potato Garlic and Herb Gnocchi

This definitely looks a WHOLE lot better than my previous attempt at 'Gnocchi' many months ago. I remember starting off this little blog of mine at the end of March 06 and slowly progressing with my photography and writing through practice and experience. My new lumix camera from dad and mom in July probably inspired my 'learning process' the most as my old 2.0 casio took depressing photos of my food. *thanks again! *hugs*
Gnocchi means "Dumplings" in Italian. Most people would pronounce it as "Noh-ki"..."GEnoh-cy"..."GNoki" *laughs*.. it's actual pronunciation is "Nyoh-khi'.
Here's my recipe for flavored potato gnocchi I made served with a tomato base sauce and tarragon crumbed chicken breast fillets.
I'm personally not a fan of gnocchi....homemade or store bought...*shrug* I don't even fancy the ones at 'fancy' restaurants! Most of the time they lack flavour...and I often felt they were chewy lumps of cooked dough covered in sauce! *giggle* I guess the garlic and herbs added to the dough helped make it a little more interesting.

1/4 cup plain flour
4 medium sized coliban potatoes cooked and peeled
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp garlic seasoning
1 tsp dried oregano flakes
2 tbsp's extra plain flour for dusting
Mash potatoes in a large bowl. Add in all other ingredients and combine well to form a dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead with dusted palms for 1-2 minutes till soft and smooth. Roll out the dough into a long strip (2 cm in diameter) and cut into 1 inch pieces. Roll small pieces of dough into a ball and lightly run it under the back of a fork to create an indented design. Repeat with all other gnocchi balls.
Cook gnocchi is 2 cups boiling water+ 1 cup chicken stock+ 2 tsp salt. Drop gnocchi in when water liquid is boiling furiously. Cook for 2-3 minutes and dish out into a strainer. Drain the water and serve cooked gnocchi with sauces/melted cheeses/butter/herbs/etc.

Edit:
Here you go jacelyn :)
Tarragon Crumbed Breast fillets
Marinade chicken breast fillets with some salt and pepper for at least 30 minutes. Dip chicken slices in buttermilk and cover with crumb mixture (1 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup wholemeal flour, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tbsp tarragon leaves).
Pan fry on a non stick skillet with a couple drops of olive oil till brown on both sides.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the limelight here is the gnnochi, but the chicken looks delicious. Hee...can I know the recipe to it? Thxs!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. these gnocchi realli looks good with that herbs chicken.... I will sure give it a try.. :)