August 7, 2006

Not so evil - Greens...

The past daily entries have been of sweet snacks, cakes and chocolate....I think it's time I move on to something healthier and diet friendly.
No...I won't exactly be making wholemeal bread with tofu, spinach or brown rice. Haha don't get me wrong, I have nothing against healthy eating; but a person with tastebuds and a passion for food like me just can't get enough of the good stuff! *laughs* this is my version of a healthy meal. Potato salad...yuumMmMmmm...*grin* it has a little less fat content than a Caesar salad, but more sustenance and bite as compared to a summer lettuce/Greek salad. It's a habit of mine to have added protein in the form of hard boiled eggs into salads. I just like how they taste with vegetables. Some say potatoes are bad for you....most say, "they are carbs; carbs are fat" ...*sigh* I say "BAH!". When did carbs ever became something to stay away from?! I'm not talking about eating a truck load of carbs a day here, but having just enough to stay energetic and alert is important. Carbs are our energy source. We need it to be able to move, to walk, talk and to even sit upright... I personally feel the idea of losing weight by completely shutting off rice, bread or potatoes is ridiculous! I could never do it...haha I love my bread, rice and potatoes too much! *hmmm* it could be why I'm having trouble with my weight....*gasp*! I guess it'll be safe to stick to low carb instead of NO carb. I'm pretty happy with myself..fit as a fiddle, strong as a man and an appetite of a foodblogger! *wink* Haha.
Here's a very helpful link from About.com on healthy eating and carbohydrates.

This recipe feeds 4 hungry Students.
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce sliced
1 carrot cut into thin sticks
1 tomato cubed
3 baby coliban potatoes(cooked in lightly salted water) skin removed and diced roughly
3 eggs hardboiled and halved
2 sprigs fresh oregano roughly torn
1 bag full fresh rocket leaves
feta cheese crumbled
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp low fat mayo
1/2 tbsp olive oil + garlic seasoning
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Toss everything together in a big bowl, hand each person a fork and dig in! ....that was easy wasn't it?
*Add in shreds of smoked ham/ bacon bits if you must.

No comments: