July 17, 2006

Cooking with the family

10 days
20 sore muscles and

2 large eye bags later...

I faithfully return to my blogging realm where I shall continue my daily entries on my neverending love for baking and cooking. For those who've missed me; I've miss you too *wink* LOL. It's amazing to see my site hits shooting past 12k despite me not having any new entries for people to read. I can tell quite a number of people are eager to see what I have to say next...*blush* Im overwhelmed :).My family and I spent 10 entire days attached to each other's hip, as our holiday zoomed from the Great Barrier Reef to the Snowy mountains in Perisher Blue. It was a great 10 days as it has been quite awhile since we've spent so much time together as a family. I definitely got the chance to realize how much has changed throughout the years. My parents are pretty glad we've had some time away to do some family-bonding! Mom constantly tells me that it's not easy for our personalities to change as we grow older; but I beg to differ. My sis and I have grown and changed so much to the extent that I sometimes don't remember her anymore....one thing which stays quite the same, would be how we always seem to constantly get on each others nerves! The only difference is, we now fight and argue about other issues...and inflicting physical pain on the enemy is out of fashion. Haha. I love my Jie (elder sister); despite the many meaningless evil remarks I make at times I wish I could be as intelligent or confident.
I would like to introduce to everyone, my dear sister;Su San (not Susan!) helping me in the kitchen with dad's birthday cupcake...the Kitchen is probably one of the few places where I'm the leader and she's the assistant!

Dad doesn't really have a sweet tooth and so we decided to make him a small chocolate lava cupcake with soft- goeey-chocolate hidden in the center. The trick to the 'lava' was made simply with the help of several dark chocolate Lindt truffles! I'm such a cheat, but there wasn't any other option as I had only one egg in the fridge!! *laughs*
Remember these little white chocolate cupcakes I mentioned a week ago....well the same basic idea was used; I swapped the dark chocolate with white and topped them with blueberries!
(My 'secret' recipe for the chocolate cupcake batter was made up and scribbled on a sheet of paper at the start of the video! I'll let you guys have go at making out what the numbers stood for! *evil grin*)
Here's a tip: The numbers were: 60, 60, 1, 23, 23. For those who bake often; you would probably know what they stood for straight away! Haha

22 comments:

Yan said...

I'm guessing. from the last time I baked... flour, sugar, egg, butter, milk?

Where does the cocoa powder come in though? Lol.

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

haha...don't think any milk went in yannie :P
haha *hugs* missed you tons!!

Unknown said...

Flour, sugar, egg, butter, and chocolate?

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

jacelyn: hmm...ingredients are right; but proportions are a little off. Haha

Anonymous said...

hello, just drop by to tell you how much i love your blog.Keep on posting those delicious pics :)

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

thanks wendy :)

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. Suyin... your this chocolate lava cake realli look good and easy to make.. can u post the recipe too.. cos i would like to give it a try with my son who simplely love chocolate cake... thanks!

Anonymous said...

butter, chocolate, egg, flour, sugar?

carrots

p.s. where's d cocoa den? :S

Anonymous said...

hrms.. no, wait.. maybe der's no sugar? it was.. 60-butter,60-chocolate, 1-egg,23-flour n 23-cocoa powder?
(cos im sure der's cocoa in, but din c any sugar =P)

carrots again

Anonymous said...

oh btw, jus wanna share with u:i finally got my frosting right! yay! ^_^ thx 4 ur tip abt the ingredients, so i started anth hunt for d icing sugar.. found sth i "suspected" is somewhat similar, n tried it. worked! =) my 1st success aft numerous tiring-n-frustrating-attempts *yay* -- it was peach frosting, btw. thanks lots!!
carrots

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

ellena:
60gms melted butter
60gms melted chocolate
1 large egg
23gms sugar
23gms plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
LOL...melt the choc and butter, beat the eggs and sugar in a separate bowl till pale and fluffy. Stir in the chocolate mixture and fold in the other dry ingrdients.
Carrots; you almost got it there ;), glad the icing escapade worked out for you

Cuisine Paradise said...

Thanks Suyin for sharing the recipe... will get back to you once i had try... thanks.. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Suyin,

hi I's cheryl from SGP. Just like to tell you I chanced upon your blog whilst searching for Jap garlic rice recipe and boy, am I GLAD! I really enjoyed your postings :) And no...still can't get the garlic rice right...not sure whether you tried the garlic rice at the Genting Jap rest - it's GOOD! Oki, me can't wait to try out ALL of your cupcakes recipe once I got my oven ! Take care!

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

hey cheryl, I'm flattered that you enjoy my postings...I havn't tried japanese food at Genting before; but will definitely make an effort to do so on my next trip there.
I'll probably try to have a write up on japanese garlic fried rice in the near future to help you with you recipe.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Sorry Suyin..just to check with you.. you bake those little lava cake in what degree oven and for how long... cos i got all the ingrediets le... just need to check with u 1st before baking it for my son.. :)

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

200 degree oven, for about 15-20 minutes. THe cakes will look puffed up and set on the surface, but the center's should still be a little moist.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Ok..thanks alot for your prompt reply :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Yin
THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL CAKE AND FOR ARRANGING THE HOLIDAY. IT WAS REALLY A FUN FILLED HOLIDAY EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE A FEW HITCHES. HAHA GETTING ON EACH OTHER NERVES DUE TO NOT ENOUGH SLEEP.
THANK GOD THAT WE LOVE EACH OTHER ENOUGH AND ABLE TO TAKE EACH OTHER RUBBISH.
LOVE YOU

PA

Anonymous said...

Hi Suyin

Searching for cakes... (I just love bake and decorate them!!!)...came across your blog... I think you are amazing and talented girl. Your blog is a joy to surf... I've been here for almost 2 hours now... opening all links... It's all soo interesting, but better go to bed, it's almost 3am! Keep up the good job!
From Xenia - xeniarocha@hotmail.com

Su-Yin -Décorateur said...

Hey Xenia :)
Nice to hear from you! I'll definitely try to post more cake designs etc...I have a couple of orders coming up next week :) so keep posted
CHeers,
su

Anonymous said...

I love that SIGN! where did you find it?!

'back away from my kitchen'

great!

Anonymous said...

is there anything else that can substitute for the Lindor chocolates? they're kind of expensive >.<